City of Newcastle (CN) has an obligation to protect the privacy of site users. This statement describes what information is collected, and why it is collected.
Collecting information about you from the website
The Website Privacy Statement explains how your personal information (being information capable of identifying you as an individual) will be treated as you access and interact with this website and for services provided through the website.. Newcastle City Council (Council) is subject to the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Act 1998 (the Act). Council will only collect personal information directly from you, or your authorised agent. The personal information collected from you will be used only for its intended purpose, or directly related purpose, of ticketing, administration and promotion of events, programs, exhibitions and special offers by Council and by our Event Partners. Your personal information will not be used for any other purpose without your consent.
If you do not wish to provide personal information to us, we may be unable to provide you with the services required. In accordance with the Act you can make application for us to consider suppressing your personal information from a public register held by us.
Automatic logging of information
If you visit our website to read or download information, our computers automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- Your server's address
- The name of the top level domain from which you access the Internet (for example, .gov, .com, .edu, .org, .au, .nz etc)
- The type of browser you use
- The date and time you accessed this site
- The pages you accessed and the documents you downloaded
- The previous Internet address from which you linked directly to this site
- The Internet address to which you link directly from this site.
Only some of this information may be considered personal information. The above information is used to create summary statistics which allows us to assess the number of visitors to the different sections of its site, discover what information is most and least used, determine technical design specifications, and help it make its site more useful to visitors.
- Tracks the pattern of visitor usage using a facility called a cookie. This cookie identifies and recognises the computer (but not the person using the computer) when you visit our website.
- Cookies are pieces of information that a website can transfer to an individual's computer hard drive for record keeping.
Links to other Websites
- Our website contains links to other websites. These linked sites are not under our control
- We are not responsible for the management or protection of any personal information you provide to these sites
- Before disclosing your personal information on any other web-site we recommend you examine the terms and conditions of using that website.
How will we use your Personal Information
- We will use your information for the purpose, or a directly related purpose for which it was collected
- We will use your information to understand community and customer needs to continuously improve its services
- We may use your information to let you know about its services or other information available. (e.g. Newsletters)
- We may share your information within other sections of CN, its agents and contractors to expedite services to its customers. The provisions of the Act bind our agents and contractors.
- We may share information collected when you purchase tickets from the Civic Theatre with the presenters (which may include organisations, promoters and performing companies) of the events for which you purchase tickets (Event Partners).
Disclosure of your Personal Information
Contact Information and other personal performance related information (such as performance and seating preferences, history of attendances and any other performance related information) may be shared with and used by our Event Partners.
This enables the Event Partners to learn about their audiences to improve the quality and relevance of future events.
Event Partners may send you marketing or research material and are responsible for complying with applicable laws governing how your personal information is handled.
You may choose to opt out of future contact from either or both of the Civic Theatre and the Event Partners at any time. Information about how to opt out is contained on this website, and is included in all email communications.
Otherwise, we will only disclose your personal information if:
- You have consented to the disclosure
- The disclosure is required or permitted by legislation
- Where it is necessary to lessen a threat to someone's life or health.
Accuracy of your Personal Information
We will take reasonable care to ensure that the personal information we collect, uses or discloses is accurate, complete and up to date.
Storage and Security of your Personal Information
We will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information it holds from misuse, unauthorised access and modification.
How to Access, Correct or Update your Personal Information
- If you want to know exactly what personal information we are holding about you, you are welcome to request such information by contacting our Privacy Officer
- You can apply to Council to amend your personal information to ensure it is relevant, up to date, complete and not misleading.
How we Dispose of your Personal Information
Your personal information will be disposed of in accordance with General Authority 45 as issued under the State Records Act 1998.
Other Important Information
- We will take all reasonable steps to protect the privacy of children
- We ask that children under the age of 18 have a parent or guardian submit personal information on their behalf when required.
Contacting City of Newcastle online by e-mail
We will only record your e-mail address if you choose to send an email message to Council. It will only be used for the purpose for which you have provided it, or any directly related purpose, and will not be added to any mailing list. We will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose, and will not disclose it without your consent.
Subscribe and Unsubscribe e-mail Service
Our online site offers a subscribe and unsubscribe e-mail service for those people who wish to receive Council online news and other updates via its list-serv system. When you subscribe to this service your e-mail address and, as an option, your name is added to a database. This information is used only to provide the service and will not be used for any other purpose, and it will not be disclosed without your consent.
Changes to this Statement
From time to time Council will update this privacy statement. When it is updated we will revise the 'last updated' date at the top of the statement.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions, please contact us or telephone our Privacy Officer on 4974 2435. Other information can be obtained from the IPC.
If you believe a breach of your privacy has occurred, you can make a privacy complaint to Council or the NSW Office of the Privacy Commission (the Commission).
To make a privacy complaint you will need to complete the Privacy Internal Review form (pdf) and lodge it with Council or the Commission.
More details regarding privacy can be found on the IPC's website and in particular handling privacy complaints.
We reserve copyright on our publications.
The content of this site is copyright. Apart from any use permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, no part of any such content may be reproduced, modified, adapted or published in any way for any commercial purposes whatsoever.
Requests and enquiries concerning reproduction and copyright should be addressed in writing to:
Chief Executive Officer
City of Newcastle
PO Box 489
NEWCASTLE NSW 2300
We have no control over the content of material accessible on any site cross-referenced. It accordingly is the responsibility of the Internet user to make their own decisions about the relevance or accuracy, currency and reliability of information found on those sites.
In addition, we do not necessarily endorse or support the views, opinions, standards or information expressed at linked sites. They have been set up as information sources only.
We are committed to quality service and makes every attempt to ensure accuracy, currency and reliability of the data contained in these documents. However changes in circumstances after time of publication may impact the quality of this information. It is the responsibility of the user to make his/her own decisions about the correctness of information found.
PPIP Code of Practice for Local Government - This Privacy Code of Practice is made under Part 3 Division 1 of the PPIP Act. The effect of this Code is to modify:
- The Information Protection Principles contained in Part 2, Division 1 of the PPIPA; and
- The provisions of Part 6 of the PPIPA, as they relate to Local Government
https://www.ipc.nsw.gov.au/privacy-codes-practice - all codes on the IPC's website.